Saturday, March 8, 2014

Miss Africa Utah 2014 pageant


I attended the Miss Africa Utah last year as an audience member and never thought I'd be returning this year as a guest titleholder. Last year's program was at Utah Valley University in Provo, UT but this year's was at the University of Utah. I was stoked because it was such a shorter drive for me. Plus I'm familiar with the campus since I'm a currently student there.


Gloria Kajo, the pageant director, invited several titleholders around the state to attend the event. I was so excited to hang out with my fellow pageant sisters again.


I also brought along one of my good friends, Tasia to enjoy the festivities.


Miss Native American SUU had to leave us early since she had a long drive to Cedar City. Glad she could join us for the beginning though!



The pageant titleholders were invited to individually present a special award to the contestants or give out a raffle prize. One of the stage staff members gathered us up and led us backstage to get ready.


I saw Jawahir backstage, the reigning Miss Africa Utah...moments before she passed on her crown. I was getting all emotional because I love her so much. She was such a graceful titleholder and I absolutely love her inside and out. Fun fact - she was 2nd runner-up in the Miss United Nations USA 2013 pageant. She also won the most special awards on competition night: Miss Fan Favorite, Miss Congeniality, and Best in Talent! I feel like no one will ever compare to her but that's not the right way to look at. Let's just the new titleholder will have big shoes to fill.



Some fun pictures backstage :)





I presented the Miss Congeniality award to Mauritius. Congrats to all of the contestants. I know they all have their own unique talents and strengths, some of which cannot be showcased on a stage. They are all winners...just for having the guts to stand up there!




The results were...4th runner-up: D.R. Congo, 3rd runner-up: Ghana, 2nd runner-up: Ethiopia, 1st runner-up: Sierra Leone, and the new Miss Africa Utah 2014: Zimbabwe! Hope to see the new titleholder at Miss United Nations USA in November. Best wishes to the new royalty.

No comments:

Post a Comment